wlt_thumbnail-103
Completed in 1839, the Old Governor’s Mansion is one of the finest examples of High Greek Revival architecture in the nation. Designed by noted architect Charles Clusky, an Irish immigrant and b
Website Link Visit Link Here

Old Governor's Mansion

Completed in 1839, the Old Governor’s Mansion is one of the finest examples of High Greek Revival architecture in the nation. Designed by noted architect Charles Clusky, an Irish immigrant and built by Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut, the Mansion looms over Milledgeville with its stately columns and imposing facade. Serving as the residence for Georgia’s chief executives for over thirty years, the Mansion’s history encompasses the antebellum, Civil War, and early Reconstruction phases of the state’s history. Such noted state leaders as George Crawford, Howell Cobb and Joseph E. Brown resided in the building and used it as a stage for speeches and also to introduce guests of national standing.

Listing Details


Website Link Visit Link Here
Phone (478) 445-4545
Category

Contact Author Complete the fields below to contact this listing author.